Monday, October 20, 2008

Exciting Past Week

Hey Friends!

Well, I sort of got laid off at St. Marks. Usually I pick up any extra shifts that no one else is scheduled to fill. Patient load is down now though so they are cutting back significantly. Fortunately I have several other jobs that I can work on. Also, my math class started last week and I want to put in a lot of effort there to get that done ASAP. I am just glad that my family has significant wheat and other food stored so that we don't have much worry about what we will eat.

My grandpa fell last week and broke two cervical vertebrae (his neck). He was life-flighted from Pocatello down to University Hospital in Salt Lake which was pretty exciting. He is doing much better now. He had surgery and is expected to come home probably tomorrow (Tuesday). We learned several days after the injury that it was the same bone break that Christopher Reeve had which lead to his paralyzed state. We are very grateful that Grandpa didn't suffer neurologic damage. He is up walking and looking forward to "shoveling spuds" again, to which, of course, Grandma says no! His voice is really hoarse and a little hard to understand but during the surgery they have to move all of that stuff out of the way, so I am sure that with a little time for healing his voice will be back to normal. He does look a little worse for wear though with the scrapes and sores on his hands, and especially the goose egg on his head as well as the scabs and stitches above his right eye. He will stay in Salt Lake with my family for a few days but he is anxious to get home and "putter around" the house.

Well, I am off to another job and to go register to vote...

1 comment:

teresa said...

That is a busy week! I'm sorry about your job, but it seems like you are taking it in stride. What are your plans from here?